Pizza Scrolls11 Oct 2018
Our loaded Pepperoni Pizza Scrollis sure to be a hit in your child’s lunch box!
Check out the recipe below, thanks to Australian Woman’s Weekly!
Prep & cook time 40 minutes. Makes 9.
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50g (1½ ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- ¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk, approximately
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- ½ small red onion (50g), sliced thinly
- ½ small green capsicum (bell pepper) (75g), sliced thinly
- 100g (3 ounces) sliced pepperoni, chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (100g) well-drained pineapple pieces, chopped coarsely (see tips)
- ⅓ cup (55g) drained sliced kalamata olives
- 1 cup (120g) pizza cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Oil a shallow 22cm (9-inch) square cake pan.
- Sift flour, soda and salt into a medium bowl; rub in butter. Add enough buttermilk to mix to a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead lightly until smooth. Roll dough into a 30cm x 40cm (12-inch x 16-inch) rectangle.
- Spread dough with combined sauces; sprinkle with onion, capsicum, pepperoni, pineapple, olives and half the cheese. Roll dough tightly from long side. Using serrated knife, trim ends. Cut roll into 9 slices; place scrolls, cut-side up, in pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake about 25 minutes.
Tips: We drained our pineapple and then patted it dry on paper towels to prevent the pineapple making the scrolls soggy. These scrolls are delicious eaten warm or cold. For a meat-free version, replace the pepperoni with thinly sliced swiss brown mushrooms.